Monday, August 25, 2008

My first music festival (with gravy!)



Outside Lands! Ken and I had an awesome time in San Francisco. This was my first music festival. The bands I saw (Beck, Cake, Kaki King, Lyrics Born, M. Ward, Radiohead, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) were so enthusiastic, engaging the crowd and showing true gratitude.

Despite the weather requiring a few extra layers, Golden Gate Park was a lovely venue. The six stages were divided among three tree-lined meadows. The occasional sound problem, didn't phase me. Festival organizers are people too. From curry to ribs and beer to soju cocktails, there was plenty to keep us eating, drinking and making merry.

I only have two regrets: 1. Missing Cold War Kids and Manu Chao. The buses going toward the Park were packed. Since we were forced to catch a bus going in the opposite direction and ride most of the rout in order to reach our final destination, we got to the park too late to see them. 2. Not being able to stay for Sunday's performances. Alas, real life called, and Professor Ken had to get back in time to start teaching on Monday.

On the accommodations end, Luke (who also turned me on to Outside Lands) recommended The Phoenix. Great call! A post-war motor lodge renovated with a tropical vibe, The Phoenix provided a comfortable, laid back base of operations. Complimentary breakfast and parking didn't hurt either.

The icing on the weekend's cake was getting together with my friend Jaime from Yale. We hadn't seen each other since graduation. It was absolutely wonderful getting to spend time together again. We had brunch in the Bistro at the Cliff House overlooking the Pacific and Ocean Beach. A weekend of firsts, I partook of my first popover and periodically daydreamed about the pastry's airy, buttery goodness during the drive back to Los Angeles.

The entire trip was a fantastic last hurrah for the summer. Ken was more relaxed than I'd ever seen him. The two of us chillin' in the grass listening to music was a delight. My favorite festival moment came Friday when I broadened my focus from the audiovisual spectacle on stage to take in the entire scene. Here we were, surrounded by trees, thousands of people, our diverse life paths converging in appreciation of the same music. For one tiny segment of humanity, it was a genuine moment of harmony. I wish that moment for the world.

1 comment:

honest co said...

I love these improved baby diapers. The old version had only one problem - the unadjustable waist. Now they have fixed it and they feel very similar to the more expensive ones! Perfect for my baby, never a leak.