Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yielding to Inspiration


I know there is a writer somewhere inside me (possibly even a prolific one). Coaxing her out is often akin to pulling out a loose tooth—uncomfortable and tinged with fear at first, but in the end, greatly rewarding (more in the sense of accomplishment than a quarter under the pillow; although I would not mind profiting from my wordsmithery).

Last night as I anxiety-balled up on my sofa (okay really it was my bed, which doubles as my sofa, which doubles as my bed…) wondering if there was any chance that I could produce a blog entry that wasn't: a.) completely vanity plate or b.) completely Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, I decided to stop chasing my oh-my-god-I'm-never-going-to-be-able-to-do-this-what-was-I-thinking tail and surrender to inspiration. If there was something I was supposed to write, then let it find me. In short, to borrow a phrase, I "let go and let God."

As I lay on my multi-functional living room furniture in a slightly more relaxed anxiety ball, ideas began to flow, ideas that I plan to develop and share (watch this space!). Riding the creativity wave, my anxiety was replaced by excitement (read: I have new, exiting things to be anxious about).

I often beat myself up over not being a fast-thinking, super-sharp, always-on-the-ball-and-ahead-of-the-curve creative. Last night, however, when I accepted my natural, shall we say, "contempative" pace, getting out of my own way and yieldeding to inspiration, I was rewarded with long-term writing ideas that should entertain and pay off. Hopefully more than a quarter under my pillow.

No comments: